Nowadays, OTG Oven is found in many types and sizes. Here we will only talk about convection ovens. Previously, these were found in lighter varieties, round in shape and with a lid containing a glass window.
Simple tool but used to be very effective. However, some companies still make this model and may make some of the best bread and cookies. In these, large cakes, which can be up to two kg, can also be made at a time.
Those designed for modern kitchens are thin square models that run on electricity, called OTGs (oven-toaster-grillers). You can bake cakes, toast sandwiches, or grill kebabs with just the press of a button or the turn of a dial.
These ovens also come with instruction manuals and small recipe books. Make sure you read them thoroughly. Some gas ranges are also available, which have flame burners on top and a large oven below.
It is also effective as an electric oven. Make sure you read the OTG Oven instruction manual and know about the gas marks.
Table of Contents
Keep in mind that while baking cakes, cookies, bread, pies according to the recipe, preheat the oven to the proper temperature. This is the simplest rule to get perfect results. When you’re baking, use a setting that receives both top and bottom heat.
To make pizza, open sandwiches, or simple toast, use a setting that receives the highest heat. Place the pizza on the tray and toast it on the wire rack.
To make the kebabs on the grill, use the provided skewers and the basting tray to catch any falling splatters. For this, use the setting above which the heat is received and keep in mind that keep basting the kebabs regularly.
Ovens are great for heating samosas, patties, or stale bread. Use the setting used for baking.
Follow the Basics of your OTG Oven
Before you start using your OTG Oven toaster grill or any other oven, read the instruction manual you have. This manual will tell you how to turn the oven on and off, as well as how to use the rack and more about how your oven works.
- Every oven comes with a rack. Before using your oven, practice moving the rack in and out of the oven. Depending on what you’re cooking, you may need to set the oven rack. It would be good to know how it is done.
- Learn how to turn on the oven and set the temperature. Typically, you’ll need to turn a knob on the front of the oven to do this. You can then set the knob to the correct heat setting. Some ovens provide a signal, such as a light turning on and off or a sound, to indicate that the oven is sufficiently hot.
Use an Oven Thermometer
The temperature in an OTG Oven fluctuates. However, even if you set the oven to a specific temperature, the heat can increase or decrease suddenly during the cooking process. Therefore, use an oven thermometer to measure the temperature.
You may need to turn the heat a little higher or lower during the cooking process.
- Use the oven light to check the temperature of the oven. Opening the oven frequently during the cooking process can cause the temperature to drop suddenly.
Also See: Best Sandwich Maker
Rotate your Tray while Cooking
Heat fluctuates in an OTG oven. Some spots will become hot or cold during the cooking process. Therefore, occasionally opening the oven and rotating your baking tray a few degrees while cooking can help keep things even cooking.
- Cake, bread, and muffin trays should be rotated 90 degrees during baking. If you’re using more than one rack to bake something like cookies, switch the top and bottom trays as well.
- The casserole pot should be slightly rotated several times during the cooking process.
Place a baking stone on the floor of your Oven
A baking stone can be used to bake items and to cook things like pizza. However, it can also help to regulate the temperature in an OTG oven. This can help radiate the temperature more evenly.
Place it on the bottom of your oven or the bottom rack when you’re not using it. Then, to help it cook more evenly, place whatever you’re cooking right on top of the baking stone.
Move items to brown the Top
Sometimes, it is difficult to brown the tops of things like pies in an OTG oven. Carrying such items in the top tray helps them brown the top. This will make them brown faster.
Increase the Temperature for more Crispness
OTG ovens have high humidity, affecting the crispness. Things like roast potatoes cannot be made crisp easily in a gas oven. Raising the oven temperature by about 25 degrees above the temperature specified in the recipe can help. This will make the product crisper.
Do not use dark metal Utensils
You should never use dark metal utensils in a gas oven. In a gas oven, the heat comes from the bottom of the oven. The dark metal pot will absorb the heat faster, which can cause your food to be brown or burn on the bottom.
- Opt for light-colored metal, glass, or silicone over dark metal cookware.